Police announce $250K reward for information on anniversary of fatal unit fire in Sydney
Tech Updates

Police announce $250K reward for information on anniversary of fatal unit fire in Sydney

A $250,000 reward is offered for information that helps detectives solve the five-year-old mystery of a fatal fire at a Sydney house.

John Flamish, 81, died on June 5, 2017, after a fire in a unit block in Parramatta, which police quickly determined had been deliberately lit.

Police announce $250K reward for information on anniversary of fatal unit fire in Sydney

NSW Police have announced the reward for information on the anniversary of his death, which remains unsolved despite a lengthy investigation and inquest.

Mr. Flamish’s daughter, Jenny Clarke, said her family would never give up in their search for answers.

“My father was a retired and respected businessman who loved his family and life in general but was tragically in the wrong place at the wrong time,” said Ms. Clarke.

“Since my father’s death, my family has suffered immeasurable pain, and I beg anyone who knows anything about the events leading up to his death to come forward.”

Camera Icon A $250,000 reward is being offered to solve the mystery of the Early St fire. John Grainger Credit: News Corp Australia

On the day her father died, emergency services were called just before 4 a.m. about a fire in the parking garage on the ground floor of a block on Early Street, Parramatta.

It is believed that Mr. Flamish, who was staying with a friend living in the complex, tried to extinguish the fire.

Firefighters found him in the parking lot, and he was taken to Westmead Hospital, where he died shortly after arrival despite the best efforts of paramedics.

Camera icons fire killed 81-year-old John Flamish in Parramatta five years ago. Photo: NSW Police Credit: Delivered

Police said their initial investigation revealed that the fire was deliberately lit.

Arson detectives and Parramatta Police Area Command officers began investigating the incident under Strike Force Badsi.

No one has ever been charged with the fire or death of Mr. Flamish.

Camera icon Mr. Flamish is believed to have tried to put out the fire before dying. John Grainger Credit: News Corp Australia

The case was referred to the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad for re-examination following a coronal investigation in September 2020.

Homicide Squad Commander Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty said on Sunday that detectives were re-examining all available evidence to identify those responsibly.

“Over the past four years, police have spoken with dozens of residents and other witnesses about the fire, which it was determined was deliberately lit,” Doherty said.

“Today, we are re-examining all CCTV visions and renewing our appeal to the public.

“The person (or persons) involved in fighting this fire cost a beloved father and friend their lives – and it is time they were held accountable for their actions.”